The process of applying for a building permit
The Building Licensing Department deals with the issuance of building permits in accordance with the Planning and Construction Law, its conditions and fees, 1965. It is mandatory to obtain a building permit for any change to an external structure.
A building permit must be obtained for any construction work, including an external change, other than internal changes (renovations) in an existing apartment not involving external or constructive changes.
Building permit applications may be submitted by persons authorized by the Engineers Regulations to submit plans to the authorized authority as defined in the Planning and Construction Regulations – an engineer, architect or practical engineer registered in the Register of Engineers or Practical Engineers.
Guide for Building Permit Applicants
Preparation of the Application
Preparation of the building plan will be done in accordance with the Planning and Construction Law and its regulations, and is the responsibility of the preparer of the application. The plan will be submitted online (to submit an online application click here) and will be sent directly to the Licensing Department.
Guidelines for calculating area – the urban building plan (TABA) defines the scope of the area that may be constructed on a given lot. In the permit application, the preparer of the application must present the calculation of the area of the planned construction, within the permitted limit, as defined by the urban building plan, the Planning and Construction Law and the Jerusalem Master Plan.
If the application includes relief permitted by law or publication for non-conforming use, the preparer of the application will declare this as a condition for opening the file and will carry out the procedure for advertising the application (click here for advertising information).
In the even that not all of the property owners have signed their consent to the plan, it will be necessary to locate them and send them an appropriate notice, including the plan, at the expense of the applicant, through the advertising company determined by the Jerusalem Municipality. It is therefore advisable to have as many property owners sign in advance.
A building permit application file will not be opened if the documents are not submitted in full.
The Licensing Process
A. Application Submission
- Sending the plan to the Licensing Department.
- Carrying out the procedure of advertising and/or sending notices, if required.
- The referent’s confirmation that the application has been received by the Jerusalem Municipality (if there are any corrections, the plan will not be accepted and will be returned to the preparer of the application).
- The advertising procedure will be at the expense of the applicant as stated above.
- Submission of approvals prior to review – the Conservation Department and the Traffic Arrangements Department, if required.
In the case of applications which were advertised and for which objections were received, the parties will be summoned to the Objections Subcommittee to hear their statements.
If the above is not completed within 60 days, the application will be closed in the system.
B.Preparation of the application for review by the Local Planning and Construction Committee or the Licensing Authority
- Examination of the application and its documents and preparation for review by the Committee or the Authority, depending on the plan.
- Review by the Local Planning and Construction Subcommittee or the Licensing Authority.
C. Completion of Requirements
- The preparer of the application is responsible for obtaining all the necessary approvals, in accordance with the Committee’s.
- Meeting with the examiner responsible for the application to submit documents.
- Final payment of the licensing fee.
- Issuance of the permit and sending it for a round of signatures.
Online Licensing Instructional Videos
The following are instructional videos for online licensing submissions – the submission process, preparation of an area plan and preparation of the harmonica.
- For the submission process – click here
- For area plan preparations – click here
- For continued area plan – click here
- For preparation of a harmonica – click here