Everything you wanted to know about the meals served in afternoon programs
What does the meal consist of?
- A main course rich in protein, such as meat or legumes
- A carbohydrate
- Cooked vegetables/legumes
- Fresh vegetables
- Fresh fruit
Who builds the menu?
The district nutritionists put together a menu after a careful examination and adjustment to Ministry of Health requirements. Every product on the menu is approved by the food program, and the food supplier is subject to this menu.
At the beginning of each month, a menu is sent to the kindergartens, and the menus are attached below.
Emphasis on Quality
The food supplier is obligated to serve students meals that contain a high percentage of protein. In recent years, there has been an emphasis on including whole carbohydrates such as whole-wheat pasta, whole couscous, whole-wheat tiny pasta (ptitim) and whole-wheat bread.
Supervision of Catering
The food staff visits the caterers at least once a week, emphasizing a number of quality parameters:
- Cleanliness of the kitchen and its surroundings
- The maintaining of a proper work process
- The proper attire of kitchen staff
- The proper weight and temperature of the ingredients in accordance with Ministry of Health guidelines
- Quality and freshness of the products
- The use of approved products that are suitable for the menu
In addition to inspections by the food staff, supervision is also performed through an external supervision company and a food quality assurance and safety laboratory.
- In the event that food is received and is suspected of being spoiled, or if a foreign object is found, children should not be allowed to eat it, and it must be immediately reported to the district office by phone and in writing.
- The suspected food must be kept in the refrigerator and handed over only to the food program representative (it must not be handed over to a food caterer representative/driver).
- It is important to make sure that the coolers are not opened – only before the meal.
- It is the responsibility of kindergarten staff to store the empty, intact and clean coolers until they are collected by the supplier.
- In case of damage to the coolers, the authority will bear the financial responsibility.
- In the event of missing meals, the food staff / authority must be immediately notified by telephone.
- Food that is not eaten on the same day must be discarded (except bread, whole fruits and vegetables).
- Food may not be taken from the kindergarten; a student who is leaving may eat before leaving for home.
- In case of any problem or question, please contact the food program (positive feedback will also be welcomed).
- Comments and requests regarding the menu must be submitted in writing.
The food supplier will regularly supply foodware based on the number of children in the food program:
- Personal placemat
- Knife and fork (spoon on days with couscous)
- Central containers
- Serving spoons
- High-quality double-layer napkins, size 20 or larger
- Two quality garbage bags of a suitable size
If a parent reports sensitivity to food or a food allergy, the following procedure should be followed:
- To order a special meal for a child who is allergic to food in the afternoon program
- First, supply of the regular meals should be immediately halted for the student in question
- The parents must provide the student with food from home
- The person operating the afternoon program must be contacted and the instructions that are given must be followed
- Every sensitivity will be examined on a per-case basis, based on a medical report, and the district nutritionist will issue instructions accordingly
The healthy menu contains all of the nutrients needed by the body, and is built by the Ministry of Health food program nutritionists according to Ministry guidelines. The menu is adapted to the needs of preschool children with an emphasis on reducing the amounts of oil and salt. In addition, the children will receive fresh vegetables, cooked vegetables and fruit. Lunch is without a doubt one of the main activities of the afternoon program. It is very important that such young children eat healthy and balanced food that most find delicious, and that is why we inspect the issue of food on a daily basis in collaboration with the Ministry of Education’s food company.