Restaurants are opening and these are the streets which will become pedestrian malls
The city of Jerusalem is embarking on a pedestrian mall initiative in which 13 streets will turn into pedestrian malls at night and on Friday afternoons, from Monday, June 1 until the end of August.
This is an initiative of Jerusalem Mayor Moshe Lion. This trend has existed in recent years in major cities around the world, and is gaining momentum in cities including New York, London, Paris, Vienna and others.
Converting the streets into pedestrian malls will allow for accessible and safe leisure and strolling experience that will benefit both residents and business owners.
Various Jerusalem street artists will perform on the pedestrian malls, and it will be permitted to set up chairs and tables on the sidewalks.
This project provides significant support for the various commercial businesses, the restaurant industry and culture-related businesses.
Jerusalem Mayor Moshe Lion: “As part of our desire to contribute to the sense of security of those people spending time on commercial streets, and to make those streets more accessible, as well as our desire to drive Jerusalem’s economy forward while helping businesses and encouraging people to spend more around them, we have initiated a project for transforming the streets into pedestrian malls. We believe it is our responsibility to help businesses at this time as much as possible – from commercial businesses to restaurants to artists and producers.”
The streets that will be converted into pedestrain malls:
- The pedestrian mall, Mahane Yehuda market: Wednesdays and Thursdays from 19:00 - 23:00 and Friday 09:00 - 15:00 (no Agripas)
- Hillel Street: Tuesdays from 17:00-23:00, and Thursdays from 18:30-23:00.
- Shamai Street: Mondays and Wednesdays from 17:00-23:00.
- Shlomzion HaMalka Street: Fridays from 11:30-15:00.
- Shoshan Street: Mondays-Thursdays, from 20:00-23:00.
- Gaza Street:Tuesdays from 18:00-23:00 and Fridays from 13:00-16:00.
- Emek Refaim: Wednesdays and Thursdays from 18:00-23:00.
- Bethlehem Road:Mondays and Tuesdays from 18:00-23:00.
In addition, the Jerusalem Municipality will open another pedestrian street in East Jerusalem
Credit Photo: Dor Pazuelo22/05/2020