Objectives and areas of activity
1. Gathering, collecting and purchasing archive material from the following sources:
a. Jerusalem Municipality and associated institutions.
b. Neighborhood committees, community administrations, youth cultural centers, public institutions and associations active in the city, except: governmental and factional material or material from the Zionist Organization, its institutes and parties.
c. Celebrities, people who were active in various fields of public, scientific and professional activity in Jerusalem.
2. Sorting and cataloging the received material and preparing it for the public's review, subject to the state laws and agreements with the depositors and donators.
3. Collecting and developing supplementary documentation collections.
4. Publishing certificates and hosting exhibitions.
5. Managing the main records of the Municipality and its institutions in the following areas: creating file systems, records, clearing and permanently preserving valuable records.
6. Issuing study certificates.
There are 3,500 running meter of archives material in the archive itself, the main building and extension.
There are 7,000 running meter of records in the Industrial Records Center, supervised by the Archive.
The archive has a collection of photographs that includes negatives: 500,000, positives: 55,000 and other photography items.
Posters and notices: 25,000
Books about Jerusalem in the auxiliary library: 5,200
Municipal publications: 3,000
Complete collections of Jerusalem's local newspapers: 4
As well as a collection of newspaper segments about Jerusalem for the years between 1960-1998.
Material from the municipality: 20 years and in some cases 30 years
Institutional private material: 30 years
Personal private material: 70 years
In many cases, specific series of files and individual files in the different archives have a shorter privilege period or none at all.